Thursday, December 10, 2009

Custom Cylinder MEL Script




Okay, this is really an extremely small thing, but I'm crazily excited over it. I spent quite some time writing a basic MEL script to create a custom cylinder.

So here's the thing. When one wants to model something by using a basic primitive such as a cylinder, he must first create a cylinder, bring its subdivisions down, then select every other edge on the top and bottom caps and delete them to turn it into quads. After that, the history must be deleted, transformations must be frozen, cylinder must be brought up onto the grid accurately and pivot point must be reset to the origin.

Well, that's a lot of steps isn't it? This very script that I wrote does all the above with just ONE CLICK. All there is to be done is to save the MEL script on the shelf and that's it. Click it once and the low poly all-quads cylinder is created sitting right on top of the origin. This is simply done to save a modeler's time when modeling something from a basic primitive such as a cylinder. I found it very useful when I was modeling my set.

If anyone wants this script for their modeling purpose, write to me and let me know - I'll be more than happy to share it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment