Saturday, December 19, 2009

Look Development Progression





So I started on lighting my set. I tried a non GI (global illumination) approach and a GI approach. However, the GI approach seemed a better outlet for me. Even though it was more or less an accurate simulation of real world lights, I could still cheat by using light linking to isolate lights to illuminate certain objects only. The above two images were rendered using GI, approximately 3 minutes per frame, and using a total of 23 lights. However, I felt that the spot light effect above the candle holder didn't seem right, so I removed them and tweaked all the other lights. This is what I got:







So pretty soon, I'm going to set up a multi-layer render set up to break down the render passes. This way, render times could decrease and things can be done quickly. I'll composite in Shake and upload once I'm done. This is what my outliner looks like right now:


So based on this set-up and testing out the lights and renders, I came up with a workflow which should work out for me:

01) Render the set as one layer with GI (no shadows)
02) Render the set with rim lights without raytracing on another layer (if necessary)
03) Render ambient occlusion as one layer
04) Render set shadows on its own separate layer
05) Render characters on its own separate layer
06) Render characters's eyes with specularity on separate layer
07) Render character's shadows on separate layer
08) Special effects on their own layers (fire, smoke, etc)
09) Render character ambient occlusion on separate layer
10) Zdepth channel on separate layer to control depth of field in post
11) Bring everything into Shake to composite

Meanwhile, comments are most welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment