Friday, November 27, 2009

Candles Test

Since my film is set back in the World War II era, my lighting design would be affected accordingly. I thought that for my opening logo of Digimator's Render does not suit quite well. So I'd thought I would do something along the lines of candles. I plan to get this shot done before next week starts.

So I built a simple candle model. The tricky part was setting up subsurface scattering for the candle. I had never done this before, so the process of experimentation took me quite some time before I got to the final (almost) result:



The lighting and the shadows cast on the floor by the candles isn't right at this point in time. I am merely testing the effect of light entering the candle surface, scattering and bouncing around a few times before coming out of the candle. I set up slight displacement to get rid of the smooth surfacing of the candle, as shown in the shading network diagram below:



Then, I decided to try lighting the surrounding of the candle, as if the candle is emitting light. I got this so far. It's not final yet:



5 different lights were used to light up this scene, though it's nowhere near perfect. No global illumination or final gather used in the images above. This small test allowed me to explore SSS in detail and gave me slightly more confidence in setting it up.

I shall probably continue working on this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment