Wednesday, November 18, 2009

More Animatics and Reflections

001

The above is one of my favourite shots in this film.

Animatics is making me think a lot. I’m really glad I chose to use this 3D method as it really helps me visualise the cinematography, which otherwise I would never have been able to do so by drawing storyboards. If only it had struck me earlier to do use this method, I would be pretty far by now. But regrets aside, this is the rough outline of the workflow I’m trying to follow:

1) Create shots in Maya
2) Compile and edit a sequence of around 10-15 seconds using Premiere
3) Mix in the audio – rough SFX and score & bring back to Premiere to see how the edit is turning out with the audio
4) If it works, leave it, if not, back to Maya to edit (and the process repeats).

I guess this process really helps me think about the pacing of my story. Right now, I’m stuck at the part after the first bombing and how Angela’s father rushes to switch off all sources of light so that they do not seek attention during the air raid. This made me think about small details, such as how many light sources would I need in the scene to be put out by Angela’s father. Currently, I have two kerosene lamps and one fireplace. I intend to put out the fireplace last (or do I even want to use a fireplace in the first place?). But regardless of that, I find two kerosene lamps insufficient.

My direction is such that after the suspense reaches the climax (the bombing), the pace. This means I would need more shots (reaction shots and such). Hence I am wondering if adding a couple  more light sources for Angela’s father to put out would help keep the pacing of the story.

I hope to get something done before consultation with Alan tomorrow – last consultation before interim.

No comments:

Post a Comment